The STEMhero Stages
In STEMhero, students move through 6 stages:
- Calculate My Estimated Usage: students use tools to estimate their household or school's utility consumption.
- Collect Baseline Data: students locate their utility meter(s) and collect readings to establish their actual utility consumption.
- Pick My Experiment: students audit their household or school to choose one water- or energy-efficiency behavior or technology that they will change during the experimental period.
- Design My Experiment: students plan how they will enact this change in behavior or technology, communicate with stakeholders, and record data.
- Measure My Experiment's Effect: students follow through with their experimental plan and collect data from their utility meters to measure the effect of their change in behavior or technology.
- Communicate My Findings: students produce a meaningful, professional, and creative presentation for their community that integrates the essential questions of STEMhero.
STEMhero's interactive missions and class dashboard facilitate the stages and scaffold the student experience. Learn more about these easy-to-use and one-of-a-kind components below.
Tour The Dashboard and missions
Functionality That Empowers Teachers and Students
Getting Started: Log in to a Shared Class Dashboard
- Teachers and students both log in with the teacher's email and the same school password.
- Accounts come with student, teacher, and school meters already added -- we love saving teachers time!
Filter the Dashboard with Ease:
- Everyone can participate and student privacy is protected because meters are labeled by number that only the teacher has a key to - NO identifying information needed!
- Scroll or filter by student meter number for fast data entry and to check for student success.
Run a Student-Driven, Project-Based unit:
- Student advance through milestones in STEMhero by launching interactive missions and entering key data back into the dashboard.
Experience Rapid Reading entry:
- Students (and teachers!) can add and edit readings from utility meters within the data table -- instantly see results in the graph!
- Data is kept simple and clean to empower, not overwhelm.
Support All Students and Raise their Voices with Interactive Tutorials and Missions:
- Students will move through 6 stages: Estimating usage, collecting baseline data, picking an experiment, designing the experiments, measuring the experiment's effect, and communicating findings.
- Missions are intuitive, engaging, and differentiated:
- Intro videos set the stage and communicate best practices
- Support resources for students who need a bit more help and high-flyers wanting to go further
- Ability to view student responses to Missions for assessment and discussion
- Missions are available in Spanish.
- Raw meter view shows usage accumulating over time -- if it's going down (negative usage) you've got data errors or solar panels!
- Daily equivalent view helps identify spikes in consumption that you can investigate and measure the affects of your efficiency experiments
Easily edit Readings:
- Identifying and fixing errors is a critical STEM skill -- and now, it's also easy.
- Student learn from mistakes, remove readings, and restore them instantly.
Log in only once:
- Close without logging out if the same computer will be only be used by a single teacher's class -- no need to log in again.